Eastern Shore Police Beat: Terry Garnett’s decision to drive over deputy ended with a bullet


Maryland State Police News Beat

Convicted drug dealer had history of running from cops and failing to appear in court; was wanted on warrants when he tried to run down deputy

(ELKTON, MD) – A Cecil County Deputy fatally wounded an Elkton man during a traffic stop where the driver refused to stop and drove towards the officer earlier today.

The deceased man is identified as Terry Garnett Jr., 37, of the 200-block of Locust Lane, Elkton, Md. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The identity of the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office deputy is not being released at this time. The deputy’s information will be released by the Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff Scott Adams contacted the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit and requested its investigators conduct the police involved shooting investigation. Assistance is being provided by the State Police Criminal Enforcement Division, the Sheriff’s Office, and troopers from the North East Barrack.

The preliminary investigation indicates that at about 12:20 p.m. today, the Cecil County Sheriff’s Deputy attempted to make a traffic stop on a Mercury Mountaineer on Augustine Herman Highway, MD Route 213, in the area of Lewis Shore Road in Elkton Maryland. The Mountaineer refused to stop and proceeded on to Lewis Shore Road.

Maryland State Police report that at some point during the incident, the vehicle then turned around and accelerated towards the sheriff’s deputy. Fearing for his life, the deputy pulled his department-issued .40 caliber Glock pistol and shot multiple times at the vehicle. The Mercury continued into the backyard of a residence on Augustine Herman Highway where it struck a tree.

Cecil County emergency medical services personnel were immediately called and responded to the scene. Garnett was pronounced dead at the scene.

Crime Scene Technicians from the Maryland State Police responded to the scene and collected items of evidential value. All items will be forwarded to the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division for investigation and analysis. The deceased has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

Investigators have been working throughout the day contacting residents in the area and attempting to identify witnesses. Anyone who may have been a witness is asked to contact Maryland State Police investigators at the North East Barrack, at 410-996-7800.

The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit investigation is continuing. Upon completion, the investigation will be forwarded to the Cecil County State’s Attorney’s Office for review.

Sheriff Adams has placed the deputy on routine administrative leave, as is procedure. An internal investigation will be conduct into the police involved shooting.

Court records show an active warrant had been issued for Garnett for failing to appear on traffic charges in 2014.

Garnett had been charged with driving without a license, failing to provide a permit upon demand, failing to stop for a red traffic signal, and fleeing from a uniformed police officer on July 3, 2014 by Maryland State Trooper S. Hunt of the Northeast Barrack. He failed to appear in court to answer those charges on Sept. 23, 2014.

Garnett was charged on Jan. 11, 2007 with failing to stop for a police vehicle by a Maryland State Trooper and on Dec. 11, 2007, the charge was dropped by the Cecil County States Attorney.

Garnett may have had a reason to not want to stop for police officers. On Dec. 11, 2007, which would account for his traffic charges being dropped, he entered plea of guilty to distribution of drugs and was sentenced to ten years in prison with five years suspended. He was assigned another five years of probation upon his release.

Involved in that case were Maryland State Troopers Bernard R. Donovan, Tfc. Adam Davies, Tfc. Alan J. Flaugher, Mary A. Yohannan and Cecil County Sheriff’s Sgt. Kenneth Russell.

On Aug. 25, 2014, another warrant was issued for Garnett for possession of drugs other than marijuana as he had failed to appear in court on Jan. 31, 2014.





  • Join our boat club! Full-service marina.

Spread the love