Firefighters run on two fires in Joppa in a day

July 17, 2014 Winesap Court Joppa Md. fire. Photo by Joppa-Magnolia VFC.

July 17, 2014 Winesap Court Joppa Md. fire. Photo by Joppa-Magnolia VFC.

JOPPA, MD. — Within 12 hours, the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company reports that the company responded to two fires.

At 10:41 am, Harford County Emergency Operations dispatched a reported house fire in the 600 block of Winesap Court, Joppa.
In addition to units from the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company (JMVFC), fire engines from the Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company, White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company and the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department were also sent.
The first unit arrived at 10:45 and reported smoke showing from a two-story single family home.  Additional resources were requested which brought fire engines from the Abingdon Fire Company and the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company.
The fire was located in the basement laundry room.  Firefighters took hoses inside the home and extinguished the fire.  Hooks and tools were used to check behind the walls and in the ceiling for any hidden fire.  The Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) responded to determine the fire’s cause and origin.
Fire on Winesap Court, Joppa, Md.  Photos courtesy of Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company

Fire on Winesap Court, Joppa, Md. Photos courtesy of Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company

According to the OSFM, the accidental fire was started in a plastic dryer vent and caused approximately $25,000 in damages to the structure and contents.  All occupants were able to escape without injury.  The dwelling was also a home day care.  The adult resident discovered the fire and promptly alerted all occupants.  A total of seven children were home, 2 were the family’s and 5 were day care.

The residents are being assisted by family and friends.  Fire Department units cleared the scene around 1:30 pm.  A fire engine from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company was transferred to the JMVFC main station to cover calls until our units were available.
  • According to the OSFM, the accidental fire was started in a plastic dryer vent and caused approximately $25,000 in damages to the structure and contents. All occupants were able to escape without injury. The dwelling was also a home day care. The adult resident discovered the fire and promptly alerted all occupants. A total of seven children were home, 2 were the family's and 5 were day care

Spread the love