Tag Archives: Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company

Deadly weekend in Joppa: four dead in crashes

Additional resources were requested bringing 2 more JMVFC paramedic units and a paramedic unit and rescue truck from the Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company (KVFC). The JMVFC Firefighters used their Jaws of Life to peel away the mangled metal from the two trapped occupants. Unfortunately, one of the patients, an adult male, was pronounced dead at the scene

Joppa VFC jumping from crash to crash on busy Freeway Friday

Firefighters and Paramedics arrived to find a single box truck in a ditch. The driver was out of the vehicle and refused transport to a hospital. The Harford County Emergency Operations Hazardous Materials Team was requested to evaluate the truck for any leaks and to oversee its uprighting. The Harford County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the collision. Old Joppa Road was blocked between the I-95 bridge and Franklinville Road for an unknown amount of time.

Truck driver saved a truck-load of books from burning on I-95

Fire engines from the AFC responded in the southbound direction. Upon arrival, Firefighters found a tractor and trailer with fire in the rear of the tractor. Fortunately, the tractor-trailer driver was able to disconnect the trailer and pull the tractor away before the fire extended to the trailer, which was carrying books.

The fire on the tractor was extinguished. There was minor damage to the interior of the trailer. Firefighters initially used a thermal imaging camera to look for heat without damaging the trailer. The camera detected high heat present so the inside of the trailer was opened and checked for hidden fire. The fire appeared to have started near the braking area of the tractor. No injuries were reported. Several lanes of northbound I-95 were blocked until the tractor and trailer were removed from the scene.

Firefighters run on two fires in Joppa in a day

According to the OSFM, the accidental fire was started in a plastic dryer vent and caused approximately $25,000 in damages to the structure and contents. All occupants were able to escape without injury. The dwelling was also a home day care. The adult resident discovered the fire and promptly alerted all occupants. A total of seven children were home, 2 were the family’s and 5 were day care