Up in Smoke: refrigerator blamed for this fire, but prior fire at Flag Ponds Park was due to vandals

LUSBY, MD. — A fire that destroyed a Calvert County government-owned shed at 1525 Flag Pond Parkway, Lusby, on Aug. 22, 2014, was caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator which Maryland Deputy Fire Marshall D. Brenneman reports ignited nearby combustible materials.

The loss was set at $40,000 to the 10 x 15 wood shed and $1,000 to contents. St. Leonard Volunteer firefighters responded to the scene after the fire was discovered, but the fire is believed to have occurred sometime between the hours of 6 pm on Aug. 21 to 8:20 am on Aug. 22nd.