WENDIE’S HOUSE OF HORRORS / Holland Manor Assisted Living operator surrenders medical license after elderly facility residents were exposed to abuse, neglect, theft by staff

  • Following an investigation by the Maryland Health Care into the Holland Manor Assisted Living Facility on Landrake Road in Towson, the long-time owner and operator surrendered her license to practice medicine on Jan. 9, 2018, as the regulators and Attorney General were closing in on her house of horrors.

Fire at Holland Manor in 2011

WENDIE’S HOUSE OF HORRORS / Holland Manor Assisted Living operator surrenders medical license after elderly facility residents were exposed to abuse, neglect, theft by staff

Wendie Renee Williams surrendered her medical license for unprofessional conduct in House of Horrors.

TOWSON, MD. – Following an investigation by the Maryland Health Care into the Holland Manor Assisted Living Facility on Landrake Road in Towson, the long-time owner and operator surrendered her license to practice medicine on Jan. 9, 2018, as the regulators and Attorney General were closing in on her house of horrors.

Acknowledging that her conduct as a physician as revealed by a two-year probe was going to result in her prosecution on the various disciplinary charges, Dr. Williams voluntarily surrendered her license in documents which she signed with the Maryland Board of Physicians.

Wendie Renee Williams, a native of Prince Georges County, Md., earned her degree in medicine and certification in Emergency Medicine from Howard University in Washington, D.C. in 2001 and began to work in hospital emergency rooms at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore and at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas.

THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY – Now arriving on newsstands in Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia –

Following years of fending off regulators who were repeatedly finding violations in the Holland Manor facility, Dr. Williams sold the property for what Maryland land records reveal was $1,050,000. The Maryland Board of Physicians put the sale of the business conducted on the property at 1810 Landrake Road, at one dollar. Records show that the building on the property is two and one-half stories, stucco, has seven full and two half baths and has a residential building consisting of 8,132 square feet in size on 1.35 acres of land.

Williams purchased the property for $999,900 in 2004 and sold it for $1,050,000 on Sept. 19, 2016, in what State Department of Assessments and Taxation report was a non-arm’s length transaction.

What caused Williams to sell the property and transfer the business of operating Holland Manor Assisting Living was laid out in the complaint by the Maryland Board of Physicians.

On Dec. 24, 2015, the Board stated that it received a complaint from the Office of Health Care Quality (OHCQ) with a final order to revoke the license of Holland Manor. The revocation was based on numerous violations in the facility and stated clearly, in plain language, that the facility “…is not capable of providing residents with proper and adequate assisted living services.”

At that point, Dr. Williams told the MBP that she had moved to Texas in 2010 and hired a person to run the facility and in 2015 decided to rent the building and transfer the business to her former manager.

Holland Manor photo from Google Earth

However, on her Facebook page, on January 4, 2012, Dr. Wendie Williams was advertising the “Grand Re-opening of Holland Manor Assisted Living”.

In June of 2015, a complaint triggered an investigation after a resident died in the facility.

In July of 2015, the state regulators had a meeting with Dr. Williams and Salah Sood, 34, of Lutherville, her “manager”, to discuss the many deficiencies. In August of 2015, Williams provided a plan of correction to OHCQ and also leased the building to Salah Sood for $7,000 a month.

The MBP documentation of the horrors in the house of Dr. Williams revealed a complaint received from the Baltimore County Fire Department. The complaint stated that a 95-year-old resident was found sleeping on an air mattress and suffered from bed sores. The elevator was broken, and mattresses were blocking exit doors. Further, the fire department noted that the male staff member uses a hot plate to cook with in his quarters. Medications were locked in boxes in the staffer’s office. Dr. Williams was listed on the OHCQ form as the Administrator of Holland Manor.

Salah Sood, 34, of Lutherville, pleaded guilty to defrauding residents of Holland Manor.

The complaint that Dr. Williams agreed to give up her medical license and signed also detailed that on Nov. 30, 2015, an assisted living provider found that when attempting to pick up a resident to remove to another care facility, that there was no staff present at the facility. “One of the last 3 remaining residents answered the door and he is in a wheelchair. The resident stated that the owner went to get coffee.”

On December 4, 2015, police and fire department personnel responded to a fire alarm and found that the residents were once again left alone.

On August 3, 2016, Salah Sood was found guilty of operating an assisted living home without a license and of abuse and neglect of a vulnerable adult. He also entered a guilty plea in Federal Court on Nov. 29, 2016, credit card theft and identity theft with the residents of Holland Manor as his victims of more than $75,000 in losses for the residents he was supposed to be caring. In an interview with the MBP, he admitted being the manager since 2004. 


Citing a laundry list of items that added up to Wendie’s House of Horrors were: failing to have a delegating nurse on call; records had documented medication errors; residents lacked assessments and medical orders; residents lacked nutritional foods; the facility failed to maintain records of the medication as prescribed by doctors; the facility failed to file incident reports, provide adequate supervision or services; and failed to maintain the facility or have fire drills or a disaster plan.

Resident was left restrained, comatose, unable to talk, in a 2nd-floor bedroom without any staff in the facility

From the U.S. Attorney’s Office:
According to court documents, Sood managed Holland Manor Eldercare in Towson, Maryland. In June 2015, P.J., a resident of Holland Manor, was transported to a local hospital. Baltimore County Fire Department personnel noted that conditions in the facility were unsanitary and that P.J.’s injuries were potentially indicative of a lack of proper care. P.J. died two days later.

The State of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene revoked Holland Manor’s license to operate on September 25, 2015.

On December 3, 2015, Baltimore County Fire Department and Baltimore County Police Department personnel responded to a fire alarm at Holland Manor and located two residents inside the facility without any staff present. An 80-year-old male resident, W.C., informed responders that no caretaker was generally present at the facility overnight. The second resident was restrained in a bed in a second-floor bedroom, comatose, and unable to communicate. Responders were initially unable to reach Sood on his cell phone. Sood eventually responded to their calls but refused to provide to his whereabouts.

Further investigation revealed that from July 2014 to January 2016, Sood opened credit card accounts using the names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers of three elderly persons who resided at Holland Manor, including P.J. and W.C. Sood, submitted the applications electronically, using Holland Manor as the home address. Sood obtained six credit cards in residents’ names, added himself as an authorized user on those accounts, and made over $74,000 in purchases using the accounts.

On August 3, 2016, Sood pleaded guilty in state court to abuse and neglect of a vulnerable victim and operation of an assisted living facility without a license. 

Salah Eldean Sood was sentenced on Aug. 25, 2017, to 52 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release by U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz. Sood pleaded guilty to bank fraud and aggravated identity theft in a scheme where he stole personally identifiable information from elderly persons who were in his care at Holland Manor Eldercare, an assisted living facility in Towson, Maryland.

Will there be a new Wendie’s House of Horrors in Texas?


After finishing her residency, Dr. Williams moved to Baltimore where she was the Associate Director of the Emergency Department. She then moved to Dallas with her family in 2010 where she practiced at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Dr. Williams enjoys practicing at The Colony ER because it allows her to practice Emergency Medicine with a Family Medicine feel.


Fire at Holland Manor revealed too many residents were in the building eight years ago.

From YouTube and published on Feb. 19, 2011:
In the early morning hours of Saturday, February 19, Pikesville VFC Tower 323 and IV 325 responded to a 3-alarm fire at the Holland Manor Assisted Living facility (Fire Box 14-9) in the 1800 block of Landrake Road in Brooklandville. Units were dispatched for a possible electrical fire; first-arriving Engine 307 from Lutherville VFC reported nothing evident but laid a hose line when met in the driveway by a staff member reporting a fire in the walls. Crews encountered smoke in the building and found fire in the walls which traveled to the second and third floors and vented through the roof. With active fire and the need to evacuate multiple civilians, BC1 requested second and third alarms and called for a Medical Strike Team, bringing additional EMS resources to the scene. Officials said more than a dozen residents and staff members were evacuated from the building. Eight residents were transported to Sinai Hospital for evaluation via a bus special called from the English Consul Volunteer Fire Department. Fire department ambulances, including IV 325, took four additional patients to Sinai, GBMC, and St Joseph’s Medical Center. The Baltimore County Fire Investigation Division is investigating the origin and cause of the fire.

Spread the love