Kitchen stove caught kid’s shirt on fire; burned over thirty percent of her body

MSP Trooper Seven dedication

Salisbury, Maryland (December 14, 2014) – Deputy State Fire Marshals are investigating a burn injury of a Salisbury teen. Investigators responded to the 300 block of Charles Street early yesterday evening to a report of a person burned. Investigators found that a thirteen year old female had been injured in the kitchen of her home. The incident occurred just before 5 PM last evening when a family member sought help from a neighbor, who in turn, called 911.

The investigation revealed that the victim was standing near a kitchen stove that was being used at the time. Her shirt came into contact with the hot stove and ignited. The resulting fire caused second and third degree burns to 30% of her body and was concentrated on her back. There was no other fire damage to the home upon investigation.

Salisbury Fire Department
Salisbury Fire Department

Salisbury EMS responded to the scene and provide care of the victim. The teen was transported to the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore for further treatment by Maryland State Police Aviation. She was considered to be in good condition overnight.

“Marylanders are reminded of the importance of safe cooking techniques. Always keep a three foot clear area around the stove top free of combustibles like towels and oven mitts. And avoid wearing any loose fitting clothing that could contact hot surfaces while cooking” suggests Maryland State Fire Marshal Brian Geraci.


Spread the love

Leave a Reply