The investigation team has determined the area where the fire started was in the “Great Room” of the home. This is a large room that has ceilings approximately 19 feet tall. Sleeping and living areas of the home are connected to the great room. Within the great room were the normal expected furnishings in addition to a large Christmas tree approximately 15 feet tall.
The investigation team has concluded that an electrical failure ignited combustible material in the area which quickly spread to the Christmas tree and furnishings.
It has been reported that the Christmas tree had been cut down more than sixty days prior to the fire. After a tree is cut, it begins to dry. How quickly it dries depends on the type of tree, how it was cut and how often it is watered while on display.