Arsonist strikes again in heart of Waldorf; 2nd time in a week

Arson fire in Waldorf next to Freds of Halloween Spirit store photo by Baden VFD

Arson fire in Waldorf next to Freds of Halloween Spirit store photo by Baden VFD

 

ARSON FIRE AT SPIRIT HALLOWEEN STORE IN WALDORF          CHARLES COUNTY, MD (October 20, 2014) – A team of investigators with the Office of the State Fire Marshal, Charles County Sheriff’s Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are actively investigating an early morning fire at the Spirit Halloween store located at 2875 Crain Highway in Waldorf.

The store is located next door to the Fred’s Sporting Store that was intentionally set on fire after a burglary on October 13, 2014. At 12:07 a.m. a passerby observed a fire in the front of the Spirit Halloween store and notified.

Nearly 40 firefighters responded from Waldorf, LaPlata, Brandywine, Baden, Hughesville and Bryans Road Fire Departments and extinguished the fire located just inside the front door within 5 minutes. Smoke and heat created by the fire spread throughout the store and caused approximately $400,000 in damage to the contents. An additional $100,000 is damage is estimated to the structure at the front of the business.

No injuries were reported during the incident. Investigators determined an accelerant was ignited at the front door with the assistance of an accelerant K-9 team. No evidence of theft from the business was observed during the on-scene investigation.

Another arsonist struck in Waldorf on Oct. 18 at 3:57 am, setting a Dodge Caravan owned by Latfah Cannon on fire on Gallery Place, with a total loss of $5,000.

Anyone having information concerning these incidents is asked to contact the Southern Regional Office of the State Fire Marshal at 443-550-6820 or the Arson Hotline at 1-800-492-7529.

  • Nearly 40 firefighters responded from Waldorf, LaPlata, Brandywine, Baden, Hughesville and Bryans Road Fire Departments and extinguished the fire located just inside the front door within 5 minutes. Smoke and heat created by the fire spread throughout the store and caused approximately $400,000 in damage to the contents. An additional $100,000 is damage is estimated to the structure at the front of the business. No injuries were reported during the incident.
 

Spread the love