Tag Archives: succumbed to smoke inhalation and thermal burn injuries.

Overloaded extension cord blamed for fatal fire that killed Bernice Washington and grand-child Zavion Atkins; 4 fled & left victims behind

WALDORF, Maryland (October 20, 2015) – Overloaded extension cord caused two deaths in Charles County fire. The Office of the State Fire Marshal reports that it has determined the origin and cause of a double fatal fire that claimed the life of two Waldorf family members. Investigators determined the fire originated within a hallway which separated the victims’ bedrooms and concluded the cause was an electrical failure due to an overloaded extension cord.