Firefighter injured when fighting his way into house fire for report of trapped person, child hurt, two dogs perish

Water Witch VFC truck 72

Water Witch VFC truck 72

CECIL COUNTY, MD (April 11, 2015) – Deputy State Fire Marshals have concluded that a fire which took place on Friday, April, 10, 2015  which sent one firefighter and one civilian to medical facilities was accidental.

The fire was reported at 3:19 pm by a juvenile occupant of the two-story wood framed single family dwelling located at 675 Kirk Road, Elkton.

The property is owned by Robert Jackson.

Forty firefighters from Elkton, North East, Rising Sun, Oxford PA., and Newark DE took approximately forty-five minutes to bring the fire under control. Damage to the dwelling is estimated to be $95,000. Smoke alarms were present in the dwelling but did not activate.

omaha-steaks---banners-2016
The injured firefighter was transferred to Bayview Burn Center after being treated at Union Hospital for injuries received while entering the dwelling as the first arriving responder due to initial reports of entrapment. It was later determined that no one was in the dwelling. The juvenile occupant was transported to Union Hospital for treatment of minor burns.
Investigators have determined the fire was accidental as a result of a portable space heater located in a second floor bedroom. The occupants of the dwelling have been displaced and are being assisted by family and the American Red Cross.
  • Join our boat club! Full-service marina.