Fairfax Police Beat: Unruly prisoner died in custody after being tased; probe underway

electronic control deviceUnruly prisoner died in custody after being tased; probe underway

ALEXANDRIA, VA. — A prisoner died in Alexandria Sheriff’s custody while physically restrained with an electronic device; the death is now being investigated by Fairfax County Police.

According to the Fairfax Police public information officer the police department’s Major Crimes Division detectives are actively investigating the in-custody death of Natasha McKenna, which occurred on Sunday, February 8.

EXTRA graphicThe Office of the Medical Examiner has conducted an autopsy and is awaiting toxicology and pathology tests prior to determining the cause of death.

At this point in the investigation, detectives have determined that McKenna was scheduled to be transported to the Alexandria Adult Detention Center on Tuesday, February 3. She was given commands by deputies in the jail but reportedly physically resisted the deputies.

Deputies utilized an electronic control device to restrain McKenna. Once restrained, she was moved to the prisoner transfer area, commonly known as a sally port. While in preparation for transport, she experienced a medical emergency. Rescue was summoned while sheriff’s office medical staff and deputies administered CPR. Rescue then transported McKenna to INOVA Fairfax Hospital, where she died on February 8.

Police detectives will present their entire investigation, which includes all evidence and statements along with the findings of the Office of the Medical Examiner, to the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office for an independent review to determine if there is any criminal liability under the Code of Virginia.

UPDATE: February 8, 2015

A 37-year-old inmate who experienced a medical emergency on February 3 was removed from life support on February 8. Natasha McKenna later passed away.

Sheriff’s Office policy dictates that this incident is now classified as an in-custody inmate death. Therefore, the Fairfax County Police Department has been notified, and an investigation is underway. Sheriff’s Office personnel are fully cooperating with the investigation. Sheriff Stacey A. Kincaid stated, “We anticipate a prompt and comprehensive investigation and will continue to update our website as new information becomes available.”


February 5, 2015

On January 26, 2015, a 37-year-old female was committed to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center (ADC) on an Alexandria City charge of Assault on Law Enforcement, Judge, Fire/Medical Services. She did not have a bond. On February 3, 2015, the inmate was scheduled to be transported to the Alexandria Adult Detention Center. In order to prepare her for transport to Alexandria, she was asked to comply with deputies’ commands. She physically resisted the deputies, and an Electronic Control Device (Taser) was utilized to properly restrain and safely transport her. Once properly restrained and checked by on-scene medical personnel, she was moved to another area of the ADC for transport. She then experienced a medical emergency. EMS was immediately notified. Medical staff and deputies administered life-saving procedures prior to the arrival of EMS. When EMS arrived, they took over the scene and transported the patient to a local hospital where she is currently on life-support. An internal investigation is currently underway regarding this matter.

  • Join our boat club! Full-service marina.

Spread the love