The Lightship Chesapeake: during WWII, the ship was outfitted with two 20 mm guns

Coast Guard lightship "Chesapeake" formerly located at entrance to Chesapeake Bay now on display in Baltimore, Md. THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY photo

Coast Guard lightship “Chesapeake” formerly located at entrance to Chesapeake Bay now on display in Baltimore, Md. THE CHESAPEAKE TODAY photo

 

LIGHTSHIP 116
(Lightship  FENWICK)(Lightship  CHESAPEAKE)(Lightship  DELAWARE)(WAL538) HAERNo.MD-133
RIG/TYPE OF CRAFT: TRADE:
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 116
PRINCIPAL DIMENSIONS:
CURRENT LOCATION:
From Library of Congress
Lightship 116 (Chesapeake) is one of the last extant lightships in the United has had few modifications during its service.  Four generations of lightships were in use in the United States from 1820 to 1983, serving as an essential part of the system of aids to navigation that protected mariners and their ships by marking stations through a combination of light and sound.

The lightship Chesapeake leaves its duty station off of Cape Henry, Va. as its replacement, the tower rig takes its place.  Coast Guard photo

The lightship Chesapeake leaves its duty station off of Cape Henry, Va. as its replacement, the tower rig takes its place. Coast Guard photo

Lightship 116 is a well-preserved example from the third generation of lightship design and from the vessel class of Lightship 100, whose most significant advance was the installation of a diesel-electric power plant.
New technology, such as the Coast Guard’s offshore light towers, eventually rendered lightships obsolete as they were replaced by other forms of navigational aids that did not require a crew.  Lightship 116 has been designated a National Historic Landmark.  LEARN MORE ABOUT THE LIGHTSHIP CHESAPEAKE

  • Join our boat club! Full-service marina.

 

Available in eBook, paperback and audiobook

Available in eBook, paperback and audiobook

Share